Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Smile by Rylie Heidt period 1

"I can't wait..." My friend went on about something, I wasn't paying any attention to. The hot blistering sun was beating down, so we hid under the cool shade of the library. I was hanging off the cold bike racks, just outside in front of the library. I heard the library doors open, and three girls walking out, the annoying sounds of "likes" clicking past their tounges, through their lip glossed lips. Another girl followed, clutching a book, and walked past them. One of the girls gave a disgusted look, and opened her mouth, and I knew from the very beginning, her perfectly tweezed eyebrows pulling together, her next sentence would not be pleasant. I shook my head slowly, pleading that the girl would not say anything cruel.
"Are you following us, you freak?!"
She said, her shiny lips hanging open, the other girls chewing gum loudly. I cringed, as she lifted one hip up.
The girl with the book, as I saw her lip twitch into a smile, probably thought she was kidding. I knew she wasn't. The other girls laughed at her, and nodded in agreement with the vicious girl. They all walked past me, their hips moving side to side wildly. I glared at them as they past by. Luckily, they didn't see my cold glare. As my friend was talking to me, and I didn't pay any attention as to what she was saying, do to this situation happening to pass by my thoughts. The girl clutching the book, slowly walked towards a spot on the grass, and sat down, kneeling. I saw a streaming tear on the roudness of her cheek, as she looked towards the street. I watched the cars drive past, the sunshine reflecting off each of them, the light jumping around the corners of my eyes. I suddenly went into deep thought, about the girl, about how she feels. My heart thumped, and my stomach was knotted up with feelings of anger, and sympathy. I knew what I had to do next.
I walked over to her slowly. She looked at me, and my face grew into a large smile. Her right corner of her mouth twitched upward. I waved at her. She waved back. I put my hand on her shoulder, and I whispered, "Don't listen to them," looking into her eyes. I got up, brushing off my knees. She looked at me, her bright blue eyes red with tears, and smiled, nodding. My cheeks grew warm, as I smiled back. I walked back to my friend, who had a very confused expression on her face. I laughed, echoing the last words I had just said in my head.

1 comment:

  1. That's amazing. Stand up for the innocent.
    I LOVE the imagery! It puts a very vivid picture in my mind.
    -Janelle

    ReplyDelete