Friday, September 23, 2011

The Boy in Seminary by Andrew Durrant

One day in seminary, a boy was being annoyed by two obstreperous kids sitting near him. I could see the annoyance and desperation in his face when he asked the teacher if he could change seats. The teacher shared his umbrage and gave his aquiescence to let the student move. He went to the next row and sat down next to a girl. One of the kids than yelled out, “oohh he has a crush!” and when I turned around I could see the quick flash of anger in his eyes, but being taciturn, he lowered his head and didn’t respond. Through all of this, I laughed along with the rest of the class, fearing that if I stood up for him, I would get laughed at as well. After a short time, the jeering and teasing stopped and was forgotten by all but him.


4 comments:

  1. Just a push of a button can delete your comments on my post. However, I appreciate differing opinions, which is why I also wrote about that day. That, and the story that has started this little comment attack happened to be my Bell Work entry. I should've called my post something else, granted, and started it without a quote from your post, however, you do not need to assume that I criticized or copied your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on defending yourself because I think drama in a post is pointless. So you guys wrote about the same thing, both different points of view. That's good. It gives readers 2 different sides. Plus, this post was more of showing and not telling in English class, so I thought it was pointless that there's arguments over it. Whatever happened in seminary was between the teacher and that class and no one needs to make public statements about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just because a boy sits by a girl doesn't meant he has a crush on her. People act like 3rd graders when they say that gosh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice word choice. The scene played out like a classic elementary school classroom but teasing never stops no matter how old your are. Good job in showing us your viewpoint of the story.
    -Mitchell Walker

    ReplyDelete