Tuesday, September 27, 2011

#68

While I was rocking back and forth on the swing, I overheard a man yelling at his wife. It made me feel sad to see that she was bowing her head down low in attempt to hide from him and the rest of the world. He was saying crude words to her, and by her actions, I could tell she did not enjoy being humiliated in public one bit. The long brown bench they were sitting on sat close to the playground, allowing all of the children to hear their argumentativeness. All I wanted to do was march right up to the contentious man and tell him that he was being mean, and to demand him to stop shouting. I stayed on the uncomfortable swing, and tried my hardest to build up just a small dose of confidence. The woman whispered to her husband, “You need to stop this. Please don’t yell at me in public, especially a park. There are children here.” He continued to holler at her, brushing off every word she had just said. Once I reached a good amount of confidence, I looked up, my spirits dampened to the view that the loud man and his wife had left while I was pondering what to say. For the rest of the day, I couldn’t help but feel that it was my fault that the lady was miserable.

5 comments:

  1. This just made me cry a little bit! Situations like these are just so awkward! Not with just the language, but the fight. Its awkward when you hear fights between your friend and their parent. Just so horrible!

    -Jillian Brinton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great writing! It is so sad that this actually happens in real life too. It is pathetic that for someone to feel good about themselves they have to make someone else feel bad- especially in public. It makes me sick.

    -Sarah Nelson

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all should learn from this story even if we are the husband, the wife, or even the silent observer. When we eventually get married one day we need to be able to feel love and respect for our spouse.

    Natalie Pyper

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the lesson you learned at the park. There are so many times, (especially in jr. high,) when we pretend like we don't hear things that make us upset. Great story!

    -Lauren Finlinson

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lesson! Nice descriptions!
    Conner Wilkinson

    ReplyDelete