Monday, September 26, 2011

Alex Burns 5th Period

Summer is the supposed time of happiness. No school, warm weather, and ice cream every other day. But means summer camps at the U. The camp itself is fun, but the other students... not so much. It happens every year. Someone has to make a show out of the stutter.
"My name is Alex Burns. I-I-I love reading and playing soccer-"
"Wha-Wha- What was that Alex?" The class giggles like schoolgirls. Did they think I made a mistake? I can't help my speech impediment. Ignoring the jest I continue, "My writing goal is to finish a bo-," the word stuck in my throat like glue. Taking a deep breath, I attempt to continue.
"Book?" The teacher finishes for me.
"Thank you..." I reply sarcastically, playing it off. Who does she think she is, finishing my sentences! Just let me speak, gosh darn it!
I sit down with a sigh and speak little for the remainder of the class.
My speech therapist told me that I just have to explain my situation. But who wants to give a big production every time I'm around people who don't know me. People who don't know about my peculiarities. I shouldn't need to explain myself. My therapist explained to me that they didn't know that was how I usually spoke. They think that I had just made a mistake and was getting "tongue-tied". Starting to understand, I decided a very important part of my life.
I won't get annoyed. I won't try to explain my impediment to 20 snickering classmates. I will try to do one absolutely ridiculous thing every day. Everyone will still laugh at me, but I will be in control of the situation. This gets the laughter out of everyone's systems and when I actually stutter, they think I'm just being my usual, absurd, self.
For years this little trick has worked for me. I haven't been teased since, and as a bonus, I've done some crazy things that I can look back on and say "Remember when..."

"Madame Trotter?", I approached her desk with a sly smile on my face.
"Yes, Olivier?"
"I was wondering... do you think I could dress up in this costume and sing the song?" I held up one of the props we used for skits in her class.
"Olivier, are you telling me that you are going to dress in that Cruella de Ville costume and sing her theme song?"
"Oui Madame!" I smile when she gets the biggest grin on her face I have ever seen.
"Well than I better print the lyrics."
Two days later, I sung that song. Completely memorized. In a dress. Was it fun? Absolutely. Would I do it again? Possibly. Did anyone make fun of me when I stuttered through the last line? Nope. Problem solved.


4 comments:

  1. Good job in staying positive about it.-Phillip Vake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very descriptive! Good word choice and good job staying positive! -Sami Walker

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definatly not have enough self control enough to not get angry every time someone made fun of me. I definatly respect you for that.

    Natalie Pyper

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you to be able to laugh off some of your lifes problems. Remember: We all have them!

    -Sarah Nelson

    ReplyDelete