Monday, September 26, 2011

It is My Business by 520 period 5

I had always seen Nicole around, thought once we started school, I didn't have a class with her. The only time I ever saw her was recess. She had a friend, so I never really felt bad for her or felt inclined to talk to her. Once 2ND grade hit, that one friend shunned her, and Nicole was left broken.
It wasn't that I had anything against her. She just wasn't the type of person I wanted to be around. She reeked of all sorts of things and lacked social skills. Her hair was stringy and she resembled a twig. The attention every one gave her was minimal, and even the teachers couldn't stand her.But one sunny day, something inside my 2ND grade brain changed the way I looked at her.
"Hey, do you ever shower?" Giggles and snicker s filled the playground as a boy pointed to Nicole.
She shouted something back, then just kept jumping rope. More insults were exchanged, and I flinched with each one. I chose not to say anything though. It wasn't any of my business. My friends and I all inched away from the scene, tired of the echoes of rude words. A shiver slowly crawled down my back, indicating that I couldn't leave just yet. My friends walked away, and I promised to later join them.
Out of the corner of my eye, a scrawny creature tumbled to the ground. Wails echoed the nearly-empty black top and an orange jump rope clattered to the ground. The sun was beating down on the cement, but somehow I knew that the perspiration forming on my forehead wasn't from the sun.
I stared awkwardly at the creature burying her helpless self into the ground. That's when it all came into play. It WAS by business. No one deserved to be treated like that. Sure, I didn't make the mess, but it wouldn't hurt anyone to clean it up. The smile and trickle of hope in someones eyes is worth every bit of helping them. The image is plastered in my mind forever.

1 comment:

  1. You're word choice is amazing. I really like the title. It has so much meaning.
    -Janelle

    ReplyDelete