Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Claire Nelson Period 2

Dear Miss Eva,
Things is so different since you left. Miss Marie was cryin' and wailin' when you left. She wouldn't give none of us no rest. Then Master St. Clare left and things went from bad to worse. I's glad Miss Feely had ownership of me, you know, all legal like. Miss Feely is being much more kindly to me and I's been trying to get better. Miss Marie didn't act like that though, not nice a'tall. Miss Marie was cryin' when he left too. That there confused me 'cause she ne'r really seemed ta like him too much.
Miss Feely is going ta take me up north to Vermont. She says that it'll make a fine lady of me. I's nervous to get my freedom. What if I's to turn wicked again? I know you always said to read my Bible and be a good girl but I still can't read good. Miss Feely is makin' me read the Bible but I still can't understand it too good. Well it tis' getting easier to understand 'cause she 'splains parts of it now. Will you help me with all the good and religious stuff? I know I's should ask Miss Feeley 'bout it but you's is so much easier ta talk ta.
With lots of love,
Topsy

No comments:

Post a Comment