Monday, May 16, 2011

Advice Column

By Lauren Finlinson (Who has A LOT to do tomorrow, and is going to actually do her homework early for once.)

TO: Eva St. Clare
FROM: Topsy

Dear Miss Eva,
Things have been going very well for me here in the North, and Miss Ophelia has been helping me along with my reading and writing. I do try very hard now to be a good girl, and I read my Bible each day now that I can, just as you always told me to. I can see that Ophelia tries to be kind too, because she has not beaten me in quite some time. She always speaks kind words to me now. We both miss you terribly.
As much as I try to be good, out here in New England, though Miss Ophelia assures me that I am as free as anybody, the other children still won't play with me and I hear the people using horrible words about me and Misses. I can't help it- it makes me want to be wicked all over again. Sometimes, both of us can't stop but say horrible words back to them. How were you always so kind to everyone? We both wish we could be like you.
Topsy

No comments:

Post a Comment